AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iron phosphate in seed row? (wheat)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 2/22/2008 09:46 (#316547)
Subject: Iron phosphate in seed row? (wheat)

Hi all. I have a problem with my first attempts at no-till. Slug control. Unknown to me was the fact that those little devils would stay underground and simply run right on down the seed row biting and ruining the seeds. Especially when it's cold. Our usual and pretty much allways effective........till now, means of control was to broadcast on top the metaldehyde pellets. However, when there's nothing to eat up top, the slugs stay below the surface doing their damage. So, looking at a product called "sluggo". It's supposed to be an iron phosphate pellet product that is non-toxic to animals and other critters, except slugs. What I've read so far is it is not water soluable, or not very soluable anyway, and as such will do no good to apply on top of the soil. Right now, I think I'm just plain s.o.l. on what I've planted, but I want to know how to prevent this in the future.

Can I place iron phosphate pellets in the seed row with the seed and not damage the seed, or will that not work? I guess even if I damage a few seeds, I can simply up the planting rate of seed and just figure on some iron loss. Thanks for any opinions or info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)