AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jay NE Ohio , Ed Winkle, & other Ohio farmers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/11/2008 15:53 (#307094 - in reply to #307058)
Subject: RE: RE: Jay NE Ohio , Ed Winkle, & other Ohio farmers.

Little River, TX
Man that place was a zoo. We arrived about noon and registered and all. We had signed up for the shorter 2 day conference.

The Tuesday activities were interesting. That morning was for me very full. I attended, and was one of the Judges, for the Emerging Scientist contest. I should have known better than agree to be a judge as it is difficult to hear the message and judge the presentation. Any it is difficult for this very poor multi tasking hay seed.

That afternoon was the Forage Spokesman speakers contest. I have no idea who won, they were all interesting. This time I got to listen to what was said. The fellow from Ontario really impressed me. The breaks of the game had none of these folks addressing topics that I could directly transfer to my operation.

Wednesday there was only 4 alfalfa presentations by the researchers. Then I went and missed two of those! I wandered into the wrong room. I was about to take a seat, when I heard this really Stunning Blond Young Lady Researcher say she was from Temple, Texas. Needless to say, trying to be an old leachier, I stayed for her presentation on switchgrass.
After getting back home I made some calls to suggest they might want to do some research on prairie grass on some ground I have. Talked to her supervisor and together we may be able to put together a research effort on roughly 16 acres. Should be a good fit as I do not expect the gammagrass to creep into my alfalfa as bermudagrass would.
Probably will look at nitrogen needs of Texas Sue© Eastern Gammagrass. Zero to minimal N on 3-4 acres, half rate on 3-4 acres, full rate on 3-4 acres, and double rate on the last 3-4 acres.
They will come in every few weeks, with their clipping machine, to look at forage quality and quantity. Blackland Research Center has a good soils man to run soil testing they may want. I will send my soil samples to Midwest Labs to look at what I am interested in.

BTW my idea of full rate nitrogen is 400 lbs/A of anhydrous. Enough for 6 Tons/A of cured hay at 12% CP.

Should prove interesting. This elderly bag of flatus will have a new learning curve to climb.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)