AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

notilling alfalfa into existing sod
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 2/10/2008 21:13 (#306555)
Subject: notilling alfalfa into existing sod

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
I'm looking at potentially renting a piece of ground that hasn't had much done to it in a long time. It's been cut and baled a few times, but that's been about it. It probably was last a hay field but there's not much left except for some grass and weeds. I'd like to put it back into an alfalfa/grass hay field. It has enough slope to it that I'm fearful I might experience some water erosion if I work it up. I'm confident I can kill the existing vegetation and I'm not too concerned about getting a good seeding planted with a no-till drill. But I am concerned about the best way to build the soil up fertility wise. I'll be pulling some soil samples in time to apply whatever nutrients are needed prior to planting. I'm expecting this field to be deficient in the basic nutrients as well as in need of lime. My question is; is it possible to apply high levels of Phosphorous and Potassium as well as lime in a no till manner that will be as effective as incorporating the necessary fertilizers? I just find it hard to believe that I can get equal results placing this fertilizer on top of the ground compared to incorporating the fertilizer through plowing.

So what do you guys think?

thanks, gordon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)