AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost to sharpen chainsaw chains?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 2/8/2008 21:52 (#304983 - in reply to #304139)
Subject: Re: Cost to sharpen chainsaw chains?

I do the same thing and charge the same as you. Started out more as a hobby - kinda liked doing it and didn't feel right about charging $6.50 like the Stihl dealer in town. However, as I get to doing more and more, it became painfully clear that there isn't enough money in it for the time I'm spending - especially the clowns who don't know when to quit on a chain and you have to grind 1/2 the teeth off to get to a good cutting point (I'm sure you've been there, done that!).

I certainly don't mind doing chains for $2.50 if all they need is a touch up, but when they are half destroyed, it isn't worth it. I also don't like grinding rakers down. Been thinking of charging according to the job. Touch up will be cheap. Rakers ground - a bit more. Mangled chain - more yet... You get the drift. If someone brings me a chain that I have to spend and hour bringing back into shape, they'd pay the same as the guy in town. It would still be a better value since the Stihl dealer rushes the process and burns cutters. I take my time and grind slow.

I get the same comments as you about doing it too cheap. However. most guys hand me a Five and refuse change. This is the only reason I hesitate to change my fees. But there are a few who expect change back and one arsehole who write me a check every time! ;) Feel like telling him to just keep it since I'll spend more than that in gas taking it to the bank to cash it! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)