AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GPS reciever on 9600
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/28/2006 09:22 (#22513 - in reply to #22487)
Subject: Re: GPS reciever on 9600

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
In the past most GPS receivers running WAAS correction in our part of the world got their correction from the Satellite named AOR-W (PRN #122).

This satellite was "parked" over the equator out over the Atlantic Ocean. In an effort to provide better coverage (eventually) this satellite was literally moved out over the Pacific.

Before, this satellite was to the East of us here in the Midwest. Now it is to the West. In the past I would experience Differential dropouts when there was a treeline close to me blocking this signal from the east. Now the problems are to the west.

Now that the satellite has been moved, it may be more difficult to receive it under certain conditions. A new satellite has been launched which is not so far west for us. It is #135 but is only operating in a test mode at this time.

Certain GPS receivers have the ability to be switched to this new satellite. Others do not. For example the Raven 115 can be changed from #122 to #135 via a Raven lightbar or other means.

I understand the reason for moving the AOR-W satellite and lauching the new one was an attempt to get double coverage over the Continental United States for aircraft. Remember the WAAS system was developed by the FAA for use with aircraft and we are riding along on that concept.

I am also under the opinion that yet another satellite #138 will come into use eventually which would be even more directly overhead for us here in the Midwest.

Edited by tedbear 6/29/2006 07:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)