AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight and auto swath
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/1/2008 12:45 (#272695 - in reply to #271930)
Subject: Re: Insight and auto swath

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Splitting up you NH3 bar into three sections can work out fine. As you have suggested the setup would be essentially the same as a sprayer setup. There is a slight problem with the liquid line returning to the Heat Exchanger. Generally this line is tee'd off after the Single ON/OFF valve in a one section NH3 bar.

Raven has suggested in these multi-section NH3 setups to do the following: Have a Master ON/OFF valve plumbed in the traditional sense as would be done with a single section NH3 bar. The liquid line feeding back to the Heat Exchanger would be tee'd in the product line after this Master Shut Off. The product line would then be split into the various Boom Sections.

This means using one more valve then you might have expected. For your situation you would use one Master and three section ON/OFF valves. The Section valves would be triggered by Booms 1 -3 as in a sprayer. I would use diodes to create a Master Enable line for the Master Valve. This Master Enable line would be a logic "OR" gate meaning that the Master opens only when one or more of the section valves is ON.

If this Master Valve is not used, the liquid would continue to pass through to the Heat Exchanger when all Boom Sections were OFF. This would be unacceptable since vapor would continue to exit the vapor tubes even when the rig was shut off for turns or transport. With the Master valve, the system would be "blocked" at that point.

For price considerations you might reconsider and only go with two sections of NH3 resulting in the need for only three ON/OFF valves.

Splitting the air cart (dry side) so that one box feeds the right and the other the left can lead to confusion. The Ag Leader Insight will only support one Dry module at any time (it can support more than one liquid module). Controlling two hyd motors with one module leads to other problems. Flow dividers or a series arrangment come to mind each with their own problems.

The Ag Leader dry module is expecting only one Section and does not provide programming choices for a section type situation such as you are suggesting.

Here's a possible workaround that may work but has some limitations. Here's my plan: The dry boxes (Left & Right) would be driven by a single common Hyd motor and a jackshaft. The jackshaft would have an electric clutch for the right box and another for the left box. This means that either side could be run without the other or of course, both run as would be most common. Having a Master and a Slave side would not work out well in my plan. Each side needs to be able to be run on its own.

The dry rig would configured as if both boxes were always running together. The hyd motor would tun the rolls at the proper speed and Start/Stop on the ends due to Autoswath for the dry product.

The electric clutches that I mention would be tied into the NH3 valve trigger lines. Thus when a point row situation was encountered on the right, AutoSwath would shutoff the NH3 for the right and also disengage the right dry box. The dry portion of the system would be unaware that this had happened and would continue to turn the jackshaft at the correct speed to continure to apply the dry product properly for the left side.

When the end of the field was reached, the left NH3 valve (and Master NH3) would close, the left clutch would disengage due to the Autoswath for the NH3. The hyd motor would stop turning due to the Autoswath for the dry product. In other words, the dry side of things would continue operate under the assumption that both boxes are running together at all times, one side or the other might be shut down indirectly from the liquid side.

One of the problems with this arrangement is that the totals for the dry product will be incorrect. The area applied for the dry product will be based on the total width. The total product dispensed will be somewhat exaggerated since the dry system will continue to base this total on the assumption that both boxes are dispensing product at the same time.

I know that this arrangement would not be supported and you would be "out there on your own". There may be other problems that I have not anticipated.

Edited by tedbear 1/1/2008 13:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)