AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My feed dealer hanging it up.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 12/28/2007 17:36 (#269913)
Subject: My feed dealer hanging it up.

Guy I have been using for commodity mix and some other things says he's gonna quit after the first of the year. He is young guy, and his Dad helped him part time. Said he lost about 20,000 a month when the Amish put up their own feed mill. The other part of the equation is that cows are leaving the area. Guys are selling cows, rather than buying high priced feed. Now, those same guys are talking about selling the hay next year. Low quality hay will be $35 a ton again if that happens. Also, guys are sell calves straight off the cows to reduce feed usage and cost. He said he doesn't see it improving and doesn't want to get so far in he can't get out.

I talked to another gentleman this morning who has some hay for sale. Real nice guy. He has several acres of Alfalfa and red clover. He is thinking that with inputs going up, and cash rents getting high, he just might rent his hay ground out for row crops. I wish he was about 50 miles closer to home.

This thing is gonna get interesting. There may be piles and piles of DDG's with not much to feed em to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)