AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Milo Harvest in TX Panhandle (1 pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 10/22/2007 19:53 (#224653 - in reply to #224637)
Subject: Re: Milo Harvest in TX Panhandle (1 pic)

Panhandle of Texas

I know, it does look green, huh?  I promise ya', though, it is not.  Sorry pic, sorry cam, and through the windshield to boot.. [Today] This milo is tested 14.9% (1st load), then 15.3%, then 15.7% (3rd load).  Test weight is 60-61 lbs./bu., which is really good, especially with that moisture (56 lbs./bu. is 'standard', right?)

how much to dry it? :  The elevator shrinks it 1.5% per 1%..back to 14.5%

With all the 'wet' milo the elevators have rec'd this year (don't guess hardly anyone has really dry milo!), they have lowered their ceiling.  Generally, the elevator does not bark too bad until the milo gets > 16%.  This year, though, they are wanting 14.5% (max.).  This is really tough when it has not froze.  Everyone is in the same boat around here, this year.  Folks would much rather take the shrink (up to a point, of course) than to have it fall...then have to pick it up off the ground...I won't complain when my 15.3% milo is shrunk back to 14.5%...that's just the way it goes...I picked it all up off the ground last year, and don't want a repeat...

Again, sorry for the pic..I like looking at pics, here, and thought I would add one..

Maybe the crap phone through the windshield has something to do with it..(!)  The milo is a cream-color.  There is not a green berry out there.

Here is another pic, taken 11 Sept. 2007.  When this pic was taken, most of the milo was cream-colored, but there were a few green heads.  I wanted to capture both ends of the spectrum in the pic.  The milo had done a lot of maturing since this pic..This pic is from another field...this field has already been harvested.  Avg. moisture was 14.8%

Milo head

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)