AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question about aol
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/13/2006 00:48 (#19121 - in reply to #18762)
Subject: RE: question about aol

AOL installs it's own software, & sends you it's own version of spam. I suppose so you look at theirs, they try to keep out other's...... As mentioned, they kinda take over your computer. As long as your computer behaves & you don't do much else with it, that's ok. But if you want your computer to be yours, and look at the internet with your own softweare, AOL can be a very big mess, worse curse than visuses & the like.

So, some will love it, some will hate it. Depends on how you use your computer.

Especially years ago, and still today, those with AOL are looked down upon as to inexperienced with comuters to realize what a poor ISP they have. Deserved or not, there is still that stigma with AOL.

My brotherinlaw travels a great deal - diff city every week - and for him it is a good deal, as he can access it most places. For me, it's worthless, as it's a long distance call....

I suspect it has much more to do with the way you use your computers, rather than the different providers you & your uncle have.

Me, I have been on the internet for over a decade - must be close to 2 decades?. Two Atari, 3 Mac, 4 PC computers in that time, & I really never have had a computer virus that bothered any.

On the other hand, these days spyware, adware, & the like are really causing havic with computers. Viruses are bad but fairly easy to avoid. Spyware seeps in from many web pages.

Worst thing that happened to me is Microsoft Update. It thought it would be fun to download a 50 meg Windows update on a dialup connection, & plugged one of my computers good by doing one of the upgrades 1/2 way. Worse than any visus, spyware, malware, or hard drive crash I've ever had.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)