AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FlOoD cOrn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Silver Shoes
Posted 10/9/2007 21:22 (#216931)
Subject: FlOoD cOrn

Seneca Kansas 66538
Still shelling this stuff and just thought I would vent a little about it. I have harvested flood corn before several times but not to this extent. Most of this crop I am speaking of after a 7-8 inch rain had water close to the tassels and the the stalks have dirt on the ears through most all of the fields. I am getting really tired of this stuff about now. We have inspections done from a local combine mechanic and we replace what is recommended to get us to the next inspection at year end, this flood corn has really screwed that plan up. Today we replaced the bin fill auger tube because it had 4 holes in it and while doing it I looked at the grain bin floor auger and its sharp. This stuff is really tearing things up in a hurry. The pit man at cargill made the comment that he has never seen the pit unload so slow even with the amps turned up on the leg. I am starting to think it would have made more money putting a match to it and trying to collect insurance. Havent harvested a single bean yet and some of those were flooded also. We all know how bottom ground crops are in general, this was a pretty good year in this area and the flooded bottoms are turning into the worst fields quickly.

Edited by Silver Shoes 10/9/2007 21:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)