AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ezboom
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/7/2007 07:07 (#215607 - in reply to #214922)
Subject: RE: ezboom

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree about the diode. I had a similar problem when installing an Insight Direct Command system in a C-IH sprayer. I don't remember the model but the problem came about because of the "rerouting" of the boom outputs which are done when using either an EZ-Boom or the Insight Direct Command switchbox.

I don't remember the details at the moment but it was frustrating at the time. Bypassing the diode solved the problem.

Concerning the Raven replacement, the sprayer I worked on had used a Raven originally. The 460 looks like a 440 but has seven boom capability and no built-in boom switches. The sprayer used its own Master and Boom switches with its own wiring harness which included the above mentioned diodes.

When the Insight Switchbox or EZ-Boom is used, the orginial boom switches are not used and the boom outputs are "backfed" so to speak through the original harness. This was part of the confusion concerning the diode.

Concerning the ends and being outside of the field, the EZ-Boom does not have a boundary feature whereas the Insight Direct Command does. With the Insight Direct Command, if a boundary exists, the sprayer will not "turn on" outside the boundary.

Example, if you spray around the outside of a field and then proceed to spray the field in a back and forth pattern, the autoboom will turn the boom sections Off as you enter the headland. If however boom 1 passes outside the end of the field (possibly over a different field or crop), the system may decide that boom 1 should be On and turn it back On during the time boom 1 is outside the desired field.

With the Insight System it is possible to create a boundary (either on a previous operation or while you spray the outside). Then even if boom 1 should pass outside the field on a turn, the boom will not be turned on.

To be safe, I let autoswath shut the booms off and then I turn the Master Off once all booms are in the headland. I then make my turn and then turn the Master On prior to reaching the actual spray point. Then autoswath brings the booms back on at the proper spot. In other words, I guarantee that the spray will be off during the turning process by shutting off the Master during any time of potential problems.

Even with the Insight and boundaries it is possible to have an outside boom come on inappropriately if the boundary is a previous boundary which is not close to the actual outside spray application. For example when spraying along by brother's driveway two years ago, I used a boundary from the prevous year. I had not planted quite as close to the driveway that year so when I sprayed the outer edge of the field there was a slight gap between the old boundary and the sprayed area. When I sprayed the field, autoswath shut off the boom as I endered the headland sprayed area. However as I turned the system detected an unsprayed area between the headland and the old boundary. Since this area was not sprayed, the system turned on Boom 1 or Boom 5 as the boom swept over that area. Since part of Boom 1 or Boom 5 was over the grass along by brother's driveway, the grass got sprayed. Rup is a great grass killer and the grass was killed.

The solution was to either shut off the master turning the turn or make a new "tighter" boundary. The earlier Insight Direct Command required a boundary for Autoswath. With the newer firmware, it is not necessary to have a boundary but it is recommended. Without a boundary, the operator needs to keep all the booms within the desired field at all times or use the Master. Since EZ-Boom does not have the boundary feature this would hold true for it at all times.

The Insight Direct Command also has an inner boundary feature which could be used with waterways. This is useful for situations where it is desired to spray "through" the waterways but have the sprayer automatically turn the appropriate booms ON/OFF.

Edited by tedbear 10/7/2007 07:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)