AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mapping tile lines with insight?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/1/2007 08:12 (#212635 - in reply to #212433)
Subject: RE: mapping tile lines with insight?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I don't know what vehicle you are planning on using but I've mapped tile lines with a combine, ATV and Pickup Truck.

Actually the combine was the easiest, I just removed the head and basically drove over the tile lines. The thing I liked about the combine was the ability to drive directly over the lines, the smoother ride and visibility.

I haven't done this for a while but I am in the process of locating some lines I did in 1997 with a YM2000. The map I produced is very helpful so I would encourage you to do the same.

You would need to setup a configuration on the Insight under Tillage. I have not done tile mapping with the Insight but others have been successful. I believe that the Implement width would need to be set to 5 or 10' to get a line produced. Essentially you start and stop the mapping with the screen switch as you drive over the lines.

Your map will be shown on the screen so it will be fairly easy to see if you have missed any lines or branches. You can get quite clever and chose a different region for different situations such as tile size, old tile, mains etc.

On my maps, I drove around the outside of the field and named that region (load) outside. I also used a different region (load) for the new tile and a different region for the old tile. When the map was produced the different regions were in different colors. The outside gave me a "picture frame" of reference for the field while the different colors gave a picture of the new tile vs the old tile.

I also wrote down the Lat/Lon of important points (Main junctions etc.) in case we needed to find them in the future.

I did the actual mapping on a PC using Ag Leader's SMS. I am not familiar with other software packages but there are probably several that would work.

Edited by tedbear 10/1/2007 08:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)