AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Implanting Holsteins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

buckeyefarmer
Posted 12/27/2011 20:40 (#2127590 - in reply to #2127108)
Subject: Re: Implanting Holsteins

nw oh
Have you had good luck with your current program. We recieved some bad information about Revalor XS and implanted 450's with IS and then followed with XS at around 800-900 lbs. Apparently this was bad info. We have had trouble with grading ever since. We went for 85% choice to 55% choice. From what I have learned since then is that XS is meant to be a one time implant. I was told by the Intervent rep that on calf fed holsteins that they are pretty efficient on their own up to about 600 lbs. So, just give XS at 600 lbs. XS is about a 220 day implant.

Now, one of my other problems with XS is it is very hard to administer. If you are having a vet do it you are probably fine. But, we do it ourselves since you cannot get a vet to do it anymore in our area. We were getting a lot of riding and whoring around. The Intervent rep sad that comes from poor adminstering of the implant. (one of the capsules gets broken, or does not stay in)

We are now on a IS followed by S at 700-800 lbs. with Revalor S. This is something I have been fighting with for about 5 months now. I have not enjoyed watching our grading go down as the choice select spread has widened. Now, we did improve our grading when we left a pen on feed for an extra 25 days and did not feed Zilmax.

I hope I do not high jack your thread. We have just been fighting through this issue. My cattle buyer blames the Revalor products, I blame how we administered them, and my dad blames the Zilmax. We do not have any cattle coming off the IS followed by the S program until April. I have noticed a lot less riding in the pens.

For what it is worth our yield has gone way up with the Revalor and Zilmax program. Even was way up on a load that did not have Zilmax and just the Revalor implants. It seems like the Revalor products put on a lot more lean muscle tissue for a longer period of time than the other products out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)