AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New 7830 - Radar Display issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/10/2007 08:47 (#185420)
Subject: New 7830 - Radar Display issues

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My nephew just purchased a new Deere 7830. This tractor was puchased from a dealer a couple of states away. Apparently this dealer was sitting on this very well equipped (some might say overequipped) tractor for some time. It was produced in November 2006.

The tractor is equipped with IVT, TLS, Active seat etc. which may be part of the reason that the dealer was receptive to making a better deal than local dealers. Generally I am opposed to the idea of not purchasing locally but time, price and other considerations came into play.

The tractor was delivered and has been put into service. I am very impressed with the tractor so far but here are a couple ofquirks that I've discovered. These quirks are not that serious but then again not quite right.

One is with the electric mirror adjustment system. This system is very much like those found in most cars or trucks today. It consists of a switch (left or right) and a small joystick to adjust the mirror(s). I notice that the joystick works as expected with the right mirror. However the joystick movement is reversed for the left mirror. On the right mirror, pushing the joystick down causes the mirror to tip downward as expected. On the left mirror, pushing the joystick down caused the mirror to tip upward. The In/Out movement is reversed also. Apparently the wiring to the motors in the left mirror head are reversed. Since the mirrors aren't adjusted very often, this is a pretty minor point and probably not worth investigating.

Another situation relates to the radar display on the Command Display screen. The tractor is equipped with the factory Dual Beam radar gun. The tractor is Greenstar Ready (they all are) but not Autotrac ready (I thought they all were but I guess it was an option on this tractor). Even though the tractor is Greenstar Ready it does not have any GPS at this time.

The radar display on the Command Display show correct wheel speed (via the transmission) but shows "----" for the radar speed and "----" for the Percent Slip. On other Deere tractors in the past this was an indication of radar failure - no radar, bad radar, bad cable etc.

The radar itself on this tractor is good in my opinion since hooking up an adapter cable from the corner post ISO port to a Raven 440 monitor works fine. These cables have the ability to pick up either wheel speed from one pin or radar from another pin. Both of these pins work as expected.

I also know that it is possible to move a connector behind the dash to switch from GPS to Radar for the Command Display. This is the display on the side - not the cornerpost. I checked this an found that the connector was connected to the cable labeled Radar as it should be. I even switched to the one marked GPS thinking that possibly they were mislabeled. This didn't change things so I reconnected back to the cable marked radar.

In talking with the local tech (he was very good about this even though the tractor was not purchased there), he found a document from Deere indicating that a couple of addresses might need to be changed in situations along this line. The document addresses issues cocerning getting GPS speed into the Command Display. It indicates that a couple of addresses may need to be changed to accomplish this besides moving the above mentioned connector. The document sort of indicates that this is not mentioned in the Owner's Manual. Changing these addresses gets the GPS speed on the CAN bus which the Command Display apparently uses. The cornerpost ISO port may get the speed directly from the radar gun and this might explain why it works there.

I learned how to get into those addresses. Merely holding the Command Display SET key and the lower hitch SET key together while turning on the key brings up more menu items. I checked the two addresses that the document indicated might need to be changed. They were already set to the values indicated on the document.

Now that I think about it, the document seems to address the opposite situation from what we have. The document indicates how one would handle a situation where Greenstar Receiver is added later and the Greenstar speed is desired on the Command Display. Since the addresses are set to those indicated for that situation already, my guess is that speed would be indicated if a Greenstar Receiver were added and the connector behind the dash changed.

Possibly what I need are the address values for the opposite situation. That is removing a Greenstar Receiver and going to Radar speed. One thought is so find a 30 series tractor where the situation is the same (no Greenstar but true radar) and check the address settings on that tractor.

Curiously I have a Coworker who bought an early 7820 equipped much the same. His planter monitor works off of the cornerpost ISO connector also but he too has dashes on the Command Display. He feels that his Command Display did show radar speed early on when the tractor was first delivered. Since his tractor was an early model some programming changes were made to it, possibly he lost the Command Display radar speed at that time. So at the moment we are both pretty much in the same situation.

The whole situation is not very serious and we can (and probably will) live without the displayed radar speed very nicely.

Some would suggest checking with the selling dealer which I might. I'm not very optomistic about that approach since many places seem to know less about the situation than what I've just described.

Any ideas?

Edited by tedbear 8/10/2007 09:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)