AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grazing some failed Milo and Soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 10/28/2011 08:00 (#2023159)
Subject: grazing some failed Milo and Soybeans?

South Central Kansas, Harper County
We have a field of drought stricken Milo, that the adjuster said was "crap"(something I already knew months ago). A few scattered heads around, but not many, and not very tall. We , fortunately, have an adjoining wheat field that went into good moisture and follow up moisture. Enough that we have wheat pasture on that field. Havent checked the Milo field for nitrates, yet, but was thinking I could just include that field in, when fencing off my wheat field for calves. I was thinking, they wouldnt be eating enough of the milo stalks to cause a problem, with the wheat being their main source of feedstock. Am I right, and should I still check the nitrates on the Milo?

Another followup question. Adjoining these two fields, is another 160 acres of drought stricken soybeans. I signed off on .7 bushel on one 80 acres, and 1.3 bushel on the other.(with the crop insurance adjuster). Some soybeans are ripe, splitting pods, while others are still "green as a gord". Thinking about including this in fencing off for grazing with the other two fields. Can calves overeat on soybeans? I imagine they would like what is out there.
thanks,
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)