AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back ground cattle ration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 10/15/2011 16:21 (#2005346 - in reply to #2003851)
Subject: RE: Back ground cattle ration

Columbia City, Indiana
IA Jackrabbit - 10/14/2011 09:01

A little info first. My brother and I work full time in town and are trying to get into farming. We usually buy some 600-700 feeder cattle in October-November. Well this year after doing some number crunching we decided that we could not afford to buy any cattle and all the feed that goes with them because it is too big of a risk and I also did not want the extra work because I already invested in 50 ewes last spring. He also lives an hour away so it makes it hard for him to come and do chores when our dad can not feed them and I get stuck doing it all the time.

Ok now that you have the back story. My brother is now wanting to buy 400lb heifers and wants to background them for about 60-70 days and sell them at 600lbs. My dad told him they had to be gone around the 1st of Jan. The ration that he wants to feed them will be grass hay/alfalfa (50/50mix), wet distillers, cracked corn and protein and he is expecting them to put on about 3-4 pounds a day.

My questions is can this be done and make money and I keep telling him that the ration is too dry and the cattle will not gain that well? I just want to know what your guys thoughts are on this? I already told him no on buying them but he is persistent on wanting to do it.

I'd say your brother is full of ideas since he doesn't do any of the work!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)