AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for Digital Livestock Scale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/13/2011 09:40 (#2002335 - in reply to #2000878)
Subject: RE: Looking for Digital Livestock Scale

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I simple relatively lower cost weigh system is to put a platform scale in the alley section just ahead of the chute. I use and would recommend Tru-test.

By using a platform in the alley it takes a lot less banging than if you weigh the whole chute. Especially a vet's chute being trailered and banged around almost every day they are bound to not work at times. A simple stationary platform scale, on a good solid base, is not moving and inherently less costly and more reliable.

In a larger commercial operation and if you are buying a new chute anyway then buy one with scales.

For-Most sells a Tru-Test scale platform which fits nicely in the bottom of their alley section. It does need a good solid base. I dug into the corral gravel and leveled two short 2x6 treated post sections on their side and put pins in thru the loadbar feet. one larger or two smaller (one under each end) leveled concrete pads would be better in a larger operation.

The Tru test stabilizes and auto zeros between animals very nicely.  A scale in a beef operation, even a small herd, is like a tape measure to a carpenter to me.

Jim at Dawn 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)