AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First Bottle Calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

CatchingLight
Posted 9/16/2011 12:20 (#1965013)
Subject: First Bottle Calf

First time with a bottle calf. Mama's milk didn't come in. Never seen the calf suck at all but it was peeing so it must have got some liquid in it sometime or another. Not sure if it got colostrum or not. Took the calf from the Mama at 4 days. This morning was day 3 on the bottle. First time on the bottle took right to it. Sucked down bottle fast. Day one morning didn't want to eat but got about half a bottle down it, evening bottle was about the same. Day two morning bottle didn't want it but managed to get the whole bottle down but evening bottle (last night) she bawled when we took it from her, sucked fingers and everything else she could find until we got her another bottle. We were encouraged by this reaction and thought we were on the uphill climb.

This morning calf was cold. When I tried to get the nipple in her mouth, her mouth was cold. Like she'd had ice in her mouth. Didn't want to stand. I forced her to stand while feeding her but to get her to feed I had to put my finger in her mouth with the nipple and get the milk in her that way. When she did make an effort to suck it was weak. Finally got about half the bottle down her (took two of us). That was at 6 am. I went back out at 8:30 to see if I could get her to drink anymore and after an hour and a half I got about half the bottle down her. She doesn't want to suck and her mouth is still cold. Her body temp is very low.

With that history, what would be the first thing you would do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)