AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hello everybody, sorry for slow response to posts.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 8/24/2011 09:25 (#1927919)
Subject: Hello everybody, sorry for slow response to posts.........

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I read everybody's responses to my pics. Thanks for the nice words. I will try to remember everybody's questions and reply. If I miss one please tell me. Well Monday was just that, flat tire on loader, flat on baler, computer board on milk tank quit working at 1 a.m. just to name a few things that went haywire.

Had to meet cement trucks to pour a water trough in Forest Service ground. I took a couple of pics to show height of grass, and moisture content. Then late afternoon, had to saddle up and move some cattle to a different pasture. Well they didn't want to move, wouldn't bunch. They run us to death, finally at just about dark we got them bunched. We were going to quit them, but guys said lets go with them. It turned dark. Only had to go about 1 1/2 miles in the dark, the upside they did trail good after dark. That isn't standard operating procedure. We'll we got them there, and head back to trailers.

It was kind of a moment trailing back in time, we crossed over the Oregon Trail for aways. This was a junction spot in the trail for the pioneers, There is a spring there, and they would rest up for the trail. I joked with them and said we should have just brought bed rolls and camped till morning. They commented on those pioneers being a lot tougher than we are.

We have found that using these 27' steel troughs give enough storage of cattle when a big bunch come to water. The next pics are north of were we poured the trough about two miles, to the place we moved the cattle. I wanted to take more to really show the lay of the land, but had to concentrate on moving cattle.

About the previous thread about ground in Utah, there is around 1,800 acres in that parcel. I run it in a deferred grazing system. If we get a animal that needs to be doctored, we can go and rope them and treat, or if needed we can drive them to a old sheep corral on the center of the range where we have a alley and squeeze chute. To tell the truth, it has been over 20 years I've had to rope and treat anything on that range.

That range did have a fire come thru it in 07', burned over a third of our range. Coming back to the Idaho range where we poured the water trough, it burned about the same time frame. The pic with cattle that ground burned as well. That fire burned for over two weeks here, close to 20 miles long x 2-3 miles wide.

As Ron (rpc), stated all you can do is try to drive to spots and cut fences were cattle trail to hoping they will get out of the way of the fire, then go back and gather them up. They are smarter than you think. Over the years we have burned a few cows, but very little. The biggest worry is getting people out there and having a fire shift and get a person caught in a fire.

We had a bad incident about 6 years ago a combine header came unhooked, the slats running in feeder house hit header, sparked it and burned combine then took range ground. Well a neighbor got on his dozer, was pushing fire line. His little girl was following him on 4-wheeler. The fire ran up hill, a FS fire boss saw girl, pulled her off 4-wheeler sent fire fighter on bike to get out of the way. The whole time girl was in truck, listening to radio chatter air support, said farmer on dozer wasn't going to make it. The fire boss said we was sick about this guy's girl listening to radio talk about her dad. Well he did make it thru. Fire takes on a life of it's own when it get burning. As the guys in Texas and lower & western states that burn a lot will agree with.

(001.jpg)

(007.jpg)

(008.jpg)

(009.jpg)

(010.jpg)

(011.jpg)

(012.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001.jpg (62KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments 007.jpg (43KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments 008.jpg (34KB - 136 downloads)
Attachments 009.jpg (42KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments 010.jpg (49KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments 011.jpg (53KB - 142 downloads)
Attachments 012.jpg (48KB - 141 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)