AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

autospray hardi navigator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/27/2007 07:16 (#167292 - in reply to #167268)
Subject: RE: autospray hardi navigator

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am not completely familiar with all Hardi sprayers but the problem with many models is the that the systems use a positive displacement pump. In these systems, the excess flow needs to go somewhere so the Hardi folks just return it to the tank. Thus when a boom is shut off, the flow is not deadheaded but is actually diverted back to the tank.

Because of the way that the control valve and On/Off valves are arranged it is difficult or impossible to insert a flowmeter to just measure the material that gets to the spray boom(s). The flowmeter measures the entire flow. With a boom section OFF, some of this flow is actually returning to the tank and thus the quantity measured is not a true indication of what is getting to the ground.

Raven made a special model of the 440 for this situation. The flowmeter still reads the entire flow but mathematically reduces this value proportionately to the number of booms that are actually ON at any given time. For example, if 30 gallons/minute are observed moving through the flowmeter but only 2/3 of the booms are ON, the value is reduced to 20 gallons/minute for the computations. This Raven system had a special wiring harness that replaced the Hardi wiring.

Many Hardi sprayers utilize a Hardi console that is manufactured by the Micro-Trak folks. This includes the boom height, fold etc. as well as the spray control. I assume that this console utilizes the same mathematical concept of reducing the observed flow proprotionate to the booms that are ON at any given time.

I donot believe that the Ag Leader Direct Command Liquid or the EZ-Boom systems incorporate this mathematical trickery.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)