AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Laser / SCV
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/26/2007 06:57 (#166889 - in reply to #166866)
Subject: RE: Laser / SCV

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Not exactly your question but I did some experiments using a Raven 440 set in the PWM mode in an attempt to control the SCV on our Deere 8310.

My main goal was curiosity to see if this could be done for a future project.

I literally cut the wires going to SCV #3 and installed a two pole weatherpak tower on the tractor side and a two pole weatherpak shroud on the SCV side. Thus the original wires could be reconnected.

I installed another two pole weatherpak tower on the Raven 440 console cables Green and Yellow wires (this is the control circuit which often goes to a butterfly valve on a sprayer). The Green/Yellow wires went to a Raven Driver box which is commonly used for amplification. With the Raven set for a PWM control valve, I was able to control the speed of an orbit motor attached to SCV #3.

I did not really complete the project but had satisfied myself that it was possible. The tractor dash did complain about the wires to SCV #3 being cut. The system is "smart enough" to detect that the wires had been disconnected. I don't remember exactly but I believe the triangle warning light did come on.

In talking with a Deere Tech, we speculated that making a two pole weatherpak shroud "dust cover" with an appropriate resistor might trick the tractor dash into submission. Apparently the system sends out a low voltage at all times and checks for the voltage drop which would be present if the wiring is intact. This would be consistent with some other error checking techniques that I have encountered.

Relating to your question it may be possible if 1) the laser device supports PWM valves 2) the circuit in the laser device can handle the electrical load 3) you find a way to silence the dash (assuming it behaves like my 8310).

I gave up on my idea since the cost of a PWM valve was not that expensensive and the project didn't materialize anyway.

Edited by tedbear 6/26/2007 06:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)