AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sour Throat Calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

chris4440
Posted 4/28/2011 14:44 (#1750624)
Subject: Sour Throat Calf

kirby,Ohio
I have been feeding calf's for 18 years and in 2 years I couldn't find any calf's to bottle feed. So I findly found a dairy farm 5 or 7 miles from home and have been getting calf's that are from 4 to 7 days old the owner said he well not sell them to any one in tell they have 3 days of colostrum. The 1st set I got 6 in and so I let them get relax for a hour or so then I would check there temp every 1 I get in but the first set was from 101 to 103 but I gave them there shots I gave them shots every new calf I get in for 3 days to make sure they don't get sick. But the 1st one died the next day that had a temp of 103 because he wouldn't drink any milk. But the rest did but then they start going down hill. I got 4 a week later and then 3 more 4 days after I got the 2nd ones but for the first ones I got in out of 6 I have 1 I lift and I have gave the calf's antibiotic BRD ( sorry Reading off the vet bill ) Scours pills, New floor, Bo se. I gave them shots for the first 3 days every time I get a new calf's in Allot people say it not my fault because we had high winds or rainy days and nights and low 40's and high 60's to 70's. So I moved all 10 head in to a barn to get dry from the change of the funny weather. I had 4 get sick the next day they was in the barn so I called the vet and told what happen and he check them out and told what they had and 2 of the 4 he said they may not make it well yesterday morning 1 was daed they we though there was nothing wrong and 2nd one he was about daed so i finish him off and had 3 one he drink all the milk but he couldn't stand but he tryed like that for a week he fight to stand up and i try to hold him up and to walk him but he daed yesterday to so out of the first set i got in there is 1 lift out and he has not drank any milk for 2 or 3 days and we think it is a sour throat because he toke the milk if we put in a 60 cc needle tube he toke just about all the milk in tell this morning he wouldn't take the first drop. I toke the fiance away so he could walk around more, the vet said it help build up the white blood cells but he don't go far. So I am pretty piss off right now about it i piss away little over $1,000.00 on 6 calf's and the vet bill trying to save them and end up with 1 fightin to live out of the first 6 and the other 7 are doing good. But I need to know what the hell can make him get better and not have a sour throat? i need to know ASAP

( if this don't make senes ) what i am trying to say i lost $1,000.00 already and down 1 calf from the first set i got in 2 weeks ago and he well not drink any milk any more because we are not sure what well take his sour throat pain away?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)