AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

markwright talk to me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Markwright
Posted 4/28/2011 12:57 (#1750432 - in reply to #1749461)
Subject: RE:Marlyn, depends on how close she is...she is re showing strength

New Mexico
it seems since she got up is eating grass etc ( the worst is perhaps over ).
I'd juice her feed with plenty of molasses ( kind of assuming she's got some age on her ).

Only reason some of the older cows do not get up after calfing is their system simply runs out of SUGAR.
Older ewes...same thing happens.

Think I'd let her calf on her own ( no sense in trying a c section on what has a chance of being a dead calf in her ), re show of strength means she's either up for a long term roll ( 75% to 80% chance ) or will die (20%) in the next week anyway ussually.

With some luck things will dry up...Green grass and some heat does wonders...hopefully she'll wait that 2 weeks to calf ( or at least till next week ), calf, recover on grass ( maybe some corn your supping too ), raise a decent calf...then you can feed her up some this fall and her last ride will be to a packer.

Sending a load of pairs up your way next week....and the calves on these are really turning it on now ( really a Great set of calves ).

Figuring things will warm up and it will start acting like Spring everywhere next week ( we'll see ).

High here Sunday supposed to be in the mid 40's ( wonder how much wind we'll get with it? ).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)