AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

twisted stomach on beef cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 4/27/2011 22:23 (#1749271 - in reply to #1749057)
Subject: toggle her

Manitoba
rather than dump her or spend the big bucks having surgery done you can try toggling her.

www.ldatogglesuture.com

I don't have the vet do twists anymore, just do these myself. takes a couple to get proficient but not hard to do. just the rolling alone will fix some. I have a few that the toggling didn't seem to be going well so I did not put the sutures in just rolled them over and presto, theve been fine ever since. That is the exception to the rule but I'd give that a try rather than unload them if they are a good animal. Just cause the twist once does not mean they will do it again. If you need more info ask and I'll see if I can explain it better but I think the site does a good job.

if you try just rolling (follow the technique on the site, can't remember the name of the rope work to get them to lie down) it has to be (when looking at the cow from the rear, her facing away from you) to the right, hold her upside down for a bit (not as hard as it sounds, when they are like that they kind of just sit there) and palpate the stomach just ahead of the udder to get the gas filled stomach to float up in the stomach cavity and then let her continue to roll to the right and back up. takes a couple guys, a harness and a length of rope to roll them. Plus a stethascope, and a toggle kit to do the whole procedure.

works here anyway, martin

Edited by Oakwood 4/27/2011 22:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)