AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7 tenths rain, just right
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

davpal
Posted 5/25/2007 03:12 (#154076 - in reply to #153737)
Subject: RE: 7 tenths rain, just right

Mid Michigan
We had that miserable type of weather all last summer. It was pure hell, the worst summer I have ever had. Every night it seemed like we were getting some kind of violent thunderstorms that were hammering our area in mid michigan. Then the humidity and mosquitoes got very bad. I think I dug trenches the length of a football field trying to drain water into ditches that were already full. It was really wearing me down and changing my moods a lot for the worst. Even though we have full time jobs and just do farming for a hobby it was a real kick in the rear to have a summer like that. And after we survived it got even wetter in the fall and combining would have been easier with a swamp buggy. We managed to get through but you guys have really got hammered with that rain. One of the most frustrating things for me was coming home to a downpour and having no power and water going in the basement. I bought a generator this year to help with that. Too many trips to dads house at 3.00 am to get his generator. Personally, I think farmers are the hardest working, most underpaid, highest risk takers, most burden of any job in the country. Especially dairy farmers. I like doing it when things go right, but like most people I would sometimes want to throw in the towel when the floods come. That $150 dollar a bag corn is not a good thing to buy twice! Later.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)