AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many of you scourguard according to the label?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Traveler
Posted 3/22/2011 08:03 (#1683064 - in reply to #1682935)
Subject: RE: How many of you Scour Guard according to the label?

East River SoDak
Interesting information Russ, I appreciate the reply. I've heard a lot of people question the efficacy of scourguard, but my father always tells me of terrible scours outbreaks he had when he was young that i don't remember. We've never had a problem working our heifers, they aren't old enough to mind the chute yet, it's a smaller group so it goes a lot faster, and it's usually frozen because it's a little earlier. If we have a cow slip a calf it is in the few days following working. And i'm not talking huge numbers, this year a total of about 425 head got scour guarded and we had 2 lose a calf, (although one calf appeared somewhat disfigured so i'm not positive working them was to blame on her, the other one was a big healthy calf that i'm positive was from a day of stress). We try and work cattle as calmly as we are able, but it mostly has to do with the working conditions this time of year. The holding lots are a combination of terrible deep mud and slippery ice on a sidehill. We converted an old milking barn into a cattle handling facility, which works great, but with the low ceiling and the way our alleys are designed makes it tough to give shots unless the cow is in the chute. The original plan was to give Scourbos 9 two months ago but there was snow literally up to the top of the gates which made it impossible.
Have you ever dealt with those tubes of paste you give immediately after they're born? We catch every calf anyway so if that works that could possibly be an option for us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)