AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

where would one start?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

GangGreen
Posted 3/22/2011 13:19 (#1683512 - in reply to #1681287)
Subject: RE: where would one start?

Eastern Iowa
I don't think there'd be a whole lot of savings in trying to salvage the old roof. Call a crane company (like Wyoming Welding and Crane, Wyoming, IA 563-488-2252) and they can hoist the whole house off the foundation for you. They set one for me on an old house foundation fifteen years ago, so they should have the stuff to do it. If you can put the axles on it and it is still road worthy, drive it to a scrap yard that accepts them and be done with it. If you have the free time and willingness to put up with the mess, scrap it out yourself. There's money in them old things, for the fella willing to spend the time and effort getting to it--and scrap prices are pretty good right now. Lots of steel, often aluminum siding, copper wiring that isn't too difficult to get, etc.

I wonder if a guy could have a crane move it someplace safe enough to burn it, and then get in there and clean up the valuable scrap after the fact? Just an idea.

I have a 70's issue home that's being used as storage I need to scrap out as well. It's a rodent nest, but the stuff that's in it is stuff nobody seems to want to part with, at least not "officially" so it would have to go somewhere. And my biggest fear is that it would still be my "stuff" when it was all said and done! (That goes with living on the home place!)

If the basement is good and dry with drainage a guy could put a monoslope roof on that without a lot of expense. Might even be enough money in scrap from the old house to pay for it?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)