AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To sell or not to sell, that is the question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

3w farms
Posted 3/21/2011 02:09 (#1681488 - in reply to #1679986)
Subject: RE: To sell or not to sell, that is the question

S.E. Iowa
How strange a question it is to me. Here our ground will raise 170-200 bu corn any normal year 50-60 bu beans even in a bad year poorest ground we have worth 3-3500/acre best ground 5-6000/ acre, and yet we see the raising of cattle as a viable alternative to row crops. Looking at past history and considering future crop imput costs I can see cattle a very favorable return on my investment. I think that a commitment to rotational grazing is the key to making this all work, along with the use of non traditional forages in your rotaional paddocks. Im sure many will diagree with me and a few will see where im coming from, but I think the old saying about putting all your eggs in one basket, will come back to haunt agriculture in a way we havent seen since the depression and the 80s. This time though with a global economy, lost of manufacturing jobs, decreasing rural populations and congressional representation, stores full of overseas products, dont look forn the american tax payer to come to our support.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)