AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My feeder calves brought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Markwright
Posted 3/8/2011 23:53 (#1659382 - in reply to #1658603)
Subject: RE: Tim, the 7 wt hiefers here

New Mexico
that I like are costing $110 to $115 cwt.
We'll put bulls with them in 30 days...so probably start buying those hiefers this week.
Seems to me like if you can keep your total bred hiefer costs ( say $800 for the 7 wt heifer + $200 to $300 per running costs ) in the 1k to $1,100 range those will make some dough.

( say sell half as breds for $1,600 to $2,000 ...and pocket the other 40% to half of em )

Bred cows, Pairs...probably the current "buy" here so to speak...been tough to get strings of em ..but that's been changing some the past week...and a couple local ranches dispersing anytime now ( 500 cow strings ).

( have a 45,000 spquare mile dry area I'm watching...figure if it stays dry there...gonna be plenty of strings of breds and pairs available say May thru July )

Bred cows ( P 3's, P 2's ) and Pairs here in the $90 cwt to $110 cwt range...always go with with those lighter young cows weighing say 1,000.

On fall calfers buy em by the lb ( and buy em Young and Lite )....takes alot of time / feed to make a P 1 cow a Pair.

Don't see any real rush to buy in the "grass fever" time frame.

Generally plenty of grass cattle available $10 cwt to $25 cwt cheaper AFTER everyone else is filled up in the Spring.
Better off to buy em in May and June rather than March and April.
AND you'll have more natural feed then...maybe stock it heavier etc..

Should have a spare load or so of good 3 and 4 year old cows here this week.
Calf April thru May say in the $1,000 range.

Throw 1/3 of a load of summer calfers with em at say $850.
Figure the calves off the afore kept till this time next year will be worth more than the cow cost delivered...even with an 1,100 mile haul on her.
( figure we'll have quite a few 7 to 8 wt cattle by fall of 011..in that $150 cwt to $170 cwt range )
Calves...weighing 450 to 500...say $180 to $225 cwt fall of 011.

I think a cheaper feed index is the driver for the afore.
It would suprise me if fat cattle this year would go much over $135 cwt..
$125 cwt though is achievable, and should be fairly long term.

Tim , my cell is 505-215-0387 leave a message with your phone number..kinda hit and miss on cell towers here the next couple days.

Edited by Markwright 3/9/2011 00:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)