AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey IslandFarmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 2/18/2011 15:00 (#1621530)
Subject: Hey IslandFarmer

Baldwin City, KS
I smell what you're steppin' in. I'm 34 and farm 1500 acres along with a cow herd. I enjoy the crops, but the cows are at the top of the list when it comes to making me tick. I'd rather be out feeding and doctoring cattle etc. all winter than working in a heated shop. We will always continue to rent more ground when possible and expand the row crops as responsibly as we can, but I too see major opportunity in the beef production. I'm more than willing to do the work it takes to run cows. There is nothing like renting a farm and knowing that you are able to make full use of almost every inch whether it's grass, tillable, or otherwise. Plus you get to watch something grow and be harvested all year long. Very rewarding. Also, when it comes to equipment and inputs, you can do so much more with less, as compared to what it takes to keep a cropping system rolling.
Maintaining harmony between the two sides of the operation is a work in progress, but I feel that we get better all the time. Whenever you can find some profit and success in an area that the majority of folks don't want to mess with, you really will get some opprotunities to move forward. Remember, if it was easy, everybody and their brother would be doing it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)