AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

beef breeds: temperament
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 2/5/2011 23:37 (#1595952 - in reply to #1595135)
Subject: Re: beef breeds: temperament

Western Nebraska
Blood lines are probably more important to know than breeds. For the most part Red Angus are pretty quite cattle, but a couple of lines could really give you headaches. South Devon were supposed to be the "gentle giants" but there wasn't anything giant or gentle about the ones we got involved with. Saler have long had a reputation for disposition problem. From my experience with them in crossbreeding, if a cow looked like a Saler she almost certainly acted like a Saler. They would go nuts and just take off when you were trying to work with them. Just splinter fences and everything in their way to get out of the corral. What they couldn't go through they would try to go over. In our area Tarentaise has had a pretty bad reputation for disposition, but I can't speak from personal experience. Herefords have always had a reputation for being quiet, but I had a neighbor's bull get in and breed about 20 hd one year. Evidently the neighbor managed to find the wildest Hereford bull ever raised because those calves were as ringy as anything we had ever had on the place. Black Angus has the same trouble with certain lines as Red Angus does. I don't have any personal experience with the bull EXT but there are certainly an awful lot of people that complain bitterly about his offspring. He is a standing joke on another forum that I read because of the disposition issue. It really comes down to parentage and handling. Find someone in the breed you are interested in using and figure out what lines to avoid and you will probably be okay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)