AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's see your office pics!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Tommy
Posted 1/28/2011 08:35 (#1577295 - in reply to #1575180)
Subject: RE: Ideas

Iowa
I am no where near computer savvy enough for pictures, but a few thoughts:

1) BIG desk. Room to spread out, 2 people can sit at it when needed. I got mine 2nd hand for $20. I have seen guys get a 36" door and turn it into a desktop--worked good. I think it's easier to keep a BIG desk uncluttered--room for things .

2) TWO computer screens. Something has to be done to computer--new video card, maybe?? It was cheap. MY 20-something son installed it. Absolutely the best!!!

3) At least 250 sq ft. That leaves room for a couple of bookcases, several filing cabinets, a couple of bulletin boards, and a couch. The couch is used daily. here. I have a few helpers and I am always at my desk when they punch in in the morning. They have a seat on the couch and we chat for a few minutes.

4) BIG calendar just inside the door on the wall. It is our "day planner" All meetings, deadlines, etc are right there handy. Low tech but works. No Blackberry here!! At a glance I can see when next group of pigs are coming, who is going to be gone on a specific day, etc. Right inside the door so we dont have to track clear in to see it.

5) LOTS of outlets. We put one every 4 feet. Of course not all are used, but never a need for an extension cord and you are not limited in your arrangement by outlets.

6) A window(s) looking out onto the main part of the farmstead. You can see what's going on, see if someone drives in, etc. Windows to be used sitting need to be low enough--easy to install them too high, as I did in my previous office. Buy a GOOD window(s).

7) Good lighting. I had a local electrical supply house design the placement of 8 foot flourescents for optimum brightness and no shadows. Running the lights N-S vs E-W made a big difference. I would have installed them running the wrong way.

8) If possible, don't have a door leading outside. My office is attached to my shop, and it is warmer and easier to keep clean by not having a door leading directly outside. A lesson also learned on an earlier office. I also have a window looking onto the main floor of the shop.

9) If you have room, I highly suggest an attached kitchenette. WE use ours every day, if only to take a break and have a cup of coffee.

10) White walls with dark baseboards--keeps shoe scuffs off the walls and not easily noticed.

11) For floor, I went with gray epoxy paint with the chips you scatter and then a top clear coat. REALLY like it--the chips keep dirt from showing, and it is easy to sweep/mop up. Tried a few throw rugs--ended up burning them in less than a year--just got too dirty.

Gotta go--hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)