AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa Hydrants
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JFDairy
Posted 1/10/2011 21:35 (#1540176 - in reply to #1539660)
Subject: Re: Iowa Hydrants

middle TN
We have had several of the Woodfords on this farm. The first was installed before we moved here in Dec. of 86. It lasted til sometime about 2006, so 20 years, used multiple times daily. We couldn't find the parts to rebuild it, so it was replaced with a Simmons, and doesn't get used much anymore. Somehow we wound up with some of the Simmons in other locations, they only last about 2-3 years. We have water that is slightly acid, will eat brass and make copper water lines paper thin. A typical brass check valve will develop pin holes in 3-5 years. I have given up on frost-proof hydrants. I have started digging down to the water line, put a piece of 12" tile standing up to above ground level, and installing Plasson quick coupler valves (they work sort of like an air chuck) at a little below ground level. I have several hoses with the plasson ends that will snap into valves buried all over the farm. The only ones I have had freeze were slightly above ground level, and had hoses connected to a float in a stock tank.( the float was frozen too.) It is sort of a pain to bend down to hook the hose, but for me better than leaky hydrants all over the place. Kencove is where I got the Plasson valves, but they are available other locations too.

Jared in TN
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)