AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long hot water run in house
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/9/2011 14:45 (#1537065 - in reply to #1536941)
Subject: Re: With flow restricting faucets and shower heads

With flow restricting faucets it makes little sense to have a 3/4" water pipe but many plumbing codes insist on the combination of a pipe good for 50 gpm and a faucet limited to 2.5 gpm or less.

The kitchen sink in my house that I bought just over a year ago has a 25' run of 3/4 for each hot and cold. It takes about 40 seconds with a modern flow restricting aerator to get hot water. There's less than a gallon (that costs less than a penny on rural water) but its annoying. I plan to replace that 3/4 with a run of 1/2" OD flex copper that is 3/8" ID so I'd cut the stored water volume to less than a quart. Maybe ten seconds to get hot water rather than 40 seconds. I figure on encasing the new copper run in insulation too.

A small mobile home water heater, like 3 or 5 gallons under the sink would do a good job too, having a short run of 1/4" ID hose to the faucet, but costs more to install and operate, the hot tank is always heating its environment but a thorough wrap with insulation can be very beneficial.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)