AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

crossing black angus cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/7/2011 00:20 (#1532164 - in reply to #1532052)
Subject: Re: crossing black angus cattle

Driftless SW Wisconsin

OK, I'll bite on this one.

Here are the two polled Hereford bulls I will be using this coming summer. Huth U070 on the right and my homegrown T021 bull calf on the left. They have some butt and are smooth polled.

As far as butt goes, I was walking among my cows and heifers, due to start calving in mid-March, today. If you want to see some butt on a polled Hereford here it is.  The one on the right of the three is obviously not up to specs however we are getting there.  

I feel if you go to the right breeder/source you can find some Herefords which have overcome many of the problems the breed (as most other breeds) has had in the past but kept most of the traditional Hereford strong points. Some breeders are still chasing the show ring/club calf market. But there are others, like Jerry Huth in Wisconsin, who are breeding polled Herefords for grass, fertility, docility and commercial qualities. Some polled Herefords, as in other breeds, have nuts & butt. And you can usually work with and around them.  These would work well on Angus cows.

Jim at Dawn

And yes, that is my summer fly rub still up in the ravine in the background. I'm not late taking it down, just real early for the summer fly season.

Edited by Jim 1/7/2011 07:44

(IMG_2878_two_bulls_010511_1024.jpg)

(IMG_2908_wide_loads_at_the_hay_feeder_010611_1024.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2878_two_bulls_010511_1024.jpg (32KB - 1039 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2908_wide_loads_at_the_hay_feeder_010611_1024.jpg (99KB - 1097 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)