AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hey Mark and others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 1/6/2011 19:39 (#1531297 - in reply to #1531005)
Subject: RE: Ben, some of these lines convert feed TWICE

North Mo.
I don't know where the twice came from. As a grass farmer which we either are or a crop farmer or both I want cows that do it on grass period. Darn little inputs and that is not the majority of cattle that have been raised for many years. We had them when I was young then this dumb kid {me} came home from College [1973 after Army]full of the Learning and proceeded to ruin a functional cow herd.
At that time it worked till inputs went up higher than prices received. I started with Simi's on our Herefords then I went to Jan Feb. calving as I needed that big calf to sell in the fall. Then I started to buy Angus bulls because black was beautiful things really went to Shxt then, once bought a 8 frame Angus wanted that PERFORMANCE, his daughters started dying on grass . It took a few more years and more bulls before I finally realized it was me or them meaning feed salesmen, stocker buyers, packers, chem reps ,fertilizer reps and so on. Again this philosophy only matters if you are a grass farmer and using cows, sheep, goats to mkt. the grass. Boy have I got on my soap box. Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)