AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The hard side of family farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

pvfarms
Posted 1/5/2011 20:05 (#1529129 - in reply to #1525666)
Subject: Re: The hard side of family farming

Northwestern Minnesota
Their is life after milking cows, we did it for 20 years, I was willing to give my life for the farm ,it was my first wife as my wife alwase said, she was brought up on a dairy farm but was resentfull, we worked so hard with our mornings starting at 3:30 in the morning and in the summers we worked 20 hr days to get all the work done, we had 150 dairy cows, I rember working during haylage working 44 hrs in 2 days I was angry that i had to stop and sleep after a while it got to me i got Dibetes from stress and lack of sleep. we sold the cows in 1998 to a large dairy in okla , I will never forget the first night i felt like a trader .even the dog looked at me at milking time and you could see he was wondering why I wasnt going to the barn, he went to the barn and came back looking very sad. we raised heifers for a few years for a 1500 cow dairy, I sold the last of them The dairy farm had went under so i got out of it, I enjoy it very much selling heifers but we moved on to Raising hay for Dairys and Horse market also Goat market Life goes on I still miss the dairy But we have moved on. The dairy farms are under payed ,when you go to thestore and see water selling fr $22.00 pr hundred you know something is wrong
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)