AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Year - Hired Hands - Thanks Guys!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

TP from Central PA
Posted 1/4/2011 11:04 (#1525929 - in reply to #1524796)
Subject: RE: New Year - Hired Hands - Thanks Guys!

As a former hired man, I really like that texting idea. I worked for my neighbors for years, and was paid monthly for a yearly salary and I got a set amount every month, granted it sounds dumb but I earned it all and then some and they knew it, so I never punched a time clock there at all. Heck, they even called me a few times for emergencies at night and I showed up, all in all everyone was happen.......................One of the brothers sons show up to take over and me and him didn't see eye to eye at all, and didn't even get along to be honest, after a big fall out I left.

Moved to another farm, he had a time clock.............Got really old for me anyhow, I'd show up and half the time I would forget to punch in, or a fert rep or salesman would show up around lunch and I'd eat and talk with them about problems/or lack of problems we were having and forget to punch out for lunch. After my boss realized I was a good guy when it came to work, he didn't really mind and I would write in what times before I left(I washed my hands next to the desk at night, so I never forgot). Either way, start to finish it still drove me nuts. I guess I never had that headache other than working in town for a few months, so I never liked the idea.

As for the boss on the phone, I don't want to be mean, but the son at my neighbors was on the phone alot, and I wager 90% of the calls were nonsense. The two brothers didn't have a phone and neither did I, they got along just fine and we all worked, seemed like the son used it as an excuse to not get his hands dirty because he always had to take this call. When I moved to the next farm, my boss there was the same way, only difference was he'd be on the phone trying to run equipment and honestly couldn't do both at the same time well. Again, 90% of his calls were nonsense. I can say for sure here in this case, how do you know you ask? Well, any farm related business calls couldn't get through so they would call me and ask where he was, because they would not get ahold of him. He provided a phone for me, didn't understand at first why, but that was the reason. I carried it in the field, but in the shop I never had it, I got sick of being the receptionist when I was covered in dirt working on something! I recently left there to work in town for the benefits, but still help out there a few days a week. I do have alot of fun there working with him, and with all that said, he is a heck of a nice guy.

As you can tell probably, I don't like cell phones..........I have one mostly so my mom who lives alone can get ahold of me, but mostly she calls my wife anyhow so I never have it. They are the biggest waste of time ever invented. I am 26 and think most calls to people my age go like this.................Hey, what are you doing? Now to me, that is a stupid call.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)