AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scanning some old pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chuck WI
Posted 12/28/2010 07:29 (#1510697 - in reply to #1510639)
Subject: Re: Scanning some old pics

<p>It looks to me like that is a pea viner. The first picture it looks like they are pitching the peas into the viner or combine as we call them now, and the second picture they are stacking the vines after the peas are taken out for cattle feed. That was a good cattle feed. Chuck</p><p>After seeing the clearer picture, I am sure those are pea vines. They were cut off in the field and windrowed, then picked up and loaded on trucks and hauled to the viner as they were called back in the day. The peas were removed and sent to the canning factory and the vines went on the stack.</p><p>Normally you would have a group of farmers that raised the peas. Thus the stack was divided up to give each farmer a share depending on how many acres they raised. I still have the pea vine cutter in the shed we used to cut where our part was. if I think about it this afternoon I will try to take a picture of it.</p><p>Now the pea combine strips the pods in the field and shells the peas and leaves the vines right in the field. if the weather is right they can be raked and dried, and then baled.</p><p>When the old pea trucks would go down the road with the vines and all they would once and a while lose some vines on the road. If you were quick enough and picked them up before they got ran over you could have fresh peas for dinner.</p><p>Chuck</p>

Edited by Chuck WI 12/28/2010 12:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)