AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grinding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/18/2010 10:53 (#1492761 - in reply to #1492385)
Subject: RE: grinding

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Right now, barley is quoted at $8.40 cwt. in paper in town. I can't get them to bring me rolled barley less than $14 cwt. plus frt. surcharge. So that gives you a idea about what they make in town for rolling, grinding. Their is no way I would still be in dairy business with out my own way to process grain. I use a Gehl 170 mix-all.

I do buy a dairy concentrate( beet pulp pellet, cotton seed, etc.) they bring to farm. We have them auger it into ton tote bags. I then have mix figured out, one tote to so many lbs. of chopped barley in mixer. I just pull screen out of mixer, use spout on bottom of totes to funnel concentrate into mixer. Then chop grain, when all mixed, we then fill computer feed bins. Very little labor, only shovel work is when barley bins need shoveling.

I just don't think you can do it less than .30- .50 cents a bu. If you figure your time, tractor, etc. If they bring truck to you, leave it so you can do it at your convenience. You can do it a little cheaper. It all depends on what you priced corn at, you can probably make a better deal on chopping vs. paying hauling corn to town.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 12/18/2010 11:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)