AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I need help filtering MS Excel data.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 4/16/2007 19:46 (#137927 - in reply to #137275)
Subject: RE: I need help filtering MS Excel data.

Elmira, Ontario

You're touching on an area I know there is a way to accomplish your goals. I've modified your spreadsheet to show one way. Unfortunately, what I've done is hard coded. If you add a supplier, or a commodity, you have to modify the report. With proper copy and pasting, that's not too hard, but it's still a pain. Plus, you end up with a report for every year.

Oh, you may need to be a bit careful with these formulas. They are "array" formulas that require special handling. You need to press Control-shift-Enter to finish an array formula.

I think you should be able to create a "live" report using pivot tables (which I added a tab to show an example), but I couldn't figure out the way to make Excel group this data by month. I'm positive I've done that before. I don't know if the data was different or something. Pivot tables are the most wonderful thing when they come together, but I find them frustrating if my data doesn't work somehow.

There is another way to do this using the dsum or dcount functions, but the spreadsheet would require too much setup to make these work.

Edit:

After reading SDPete's post, I realized why my pivot table wouldn't group the data. The dates in the sample data were actually text, not dates. Once I corrected that, I was able to get the pivot table to work. The attached sample file should now show an example of a pivot table grouping. If you add more data to the data tab, you have to refresh the pivot table. 

Edited by Omar 4/16/2007 22:00

(corelcapture039.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments corelcapture039.jpg (66KB - 164 downloads)
Attachments loadsheetexample.xls (77KB - 198 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)