AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mashed potato doughnut recipe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iluvafarmer
Posted 12/13/2010 20:22 (#1484319)
Subject: Mashed potato doughnut recipe

Eastern Nebraska

This is my Great Grandma Parks recipe and brings back a lot of good childhood memories... She lived to be 100 years old.

Mashed Potato Doughnuts

In a large bowl combine 

2 cups hot mashed potatoes made with butter and milk,   1 1/2 cups sugar,   2 cups buttermilk,  and 2 beaten eggs.   Stir in - 2 tablespoons melted butter (must use butter), 2 teaspoons baking soda,  2 teaspoons baking powder,  1 teaspoon Nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt,  and 6 1/2 to 7 cups flour... Enough to make a soft dough.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface.  PAT (do not knead) to 3/4 inch thickness.  Cut with a doughnut cutter.  Grandma had one of those aluminum ones with the wooden knob on top... In an electric skillet heat one inch oil (she used lard) to 350 degrees.  Cook doughnuts 2 minutes per side or until browned.  Remove to a paper towel to drain.  Be sure to let the oil come back to 350 before you put the next ones in.  The secret to not having greasy doughnuts is to keep the oil temp up.  Grandma used to keep them in a plastic bread sack (htey saved most everything to use again) and a little crock bowl of suger in the cabinet... They are great rolled in the sugar... I can taste them now...

Enjoy.. They are one of my favorite memories of Grandma Parks...                 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)