AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garmin type Christmas gift for wife
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 12/10/2010 21:30 (#1478977 - in reply to #1478878)
Subject: RE: Garmin type Christmas gift for wife

Little River, TX
The little Garmin nuvi 200 is reasonably easy to use. It is tied to a mapping service and therefor subject to errors. Usually humorous but errors anyway.

My first was a nuvi 200. Later when it became obvious the map was out of date, I bought a nuvi 700 series that has many more features.

The newer little toys will tell you the local speed limit, as well as the speed you are traveling.

Then there are one's that can provide blue tooth phone which might be handy.

There are some that give traffic conditions, to warn you to take a different route.

Supposedly there are some that coming into a Mix master, Spaghetti Bowl, whoop de do multiple choice for multiple lanes, will tell us what lane to be in & when.

You can get one with lifetime updates, but they do not say who's life time.

All that is well and good, but it is handy if you have done your homework, and know where you want to go before you get there. None of them are idiot proof, and this idiot repeatedly proves it. Still I would not have driven around the California SJV with out one.

I also kept the old out of date nuvi 200 and keep it set for 30 or 50 miles to keep things in perspective.

My only gripe is these all have a +/- 50 foot error built in. The ones with WAAS have only a 5 foot error. That way when driving down a back road with trees up to the pavement it will tell you the road you want is 5 feet behind you rather than 50 feet behind you.

If you are going to visit Dutch, it would be handy to tell one featureless road from another. That is correct I drove past the road, then drove past his house. That time I did not have the excuse that the trees obscured the road and the house.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 12/10/2010 21:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)