AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How high can a mouse jump?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iseedit
Posted 11/26/2010 10:53 (#1454936 - in reply to #1454660)
Subject: RE: Those two seem to work for me ~

central - east central Minnesota -
Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 11/26/2010 06:11

Do you think the TomCat or Hawk bait chunks work? I have doubts on the potency of the product. I buy them from local Farm & Fleet in little 5# buckets. Have for a long time. I fed a few (apparently) mice in a little enclosed building for 4-5 weeks this fall. They just ate the chunks. I kept expecting to find dead or dying mice. I didn't. Just a LOT of mouse crap. I probably spent $50 or more on chunks. I could've fed a steer to butcher weight cheaper. They did not seem to be slowing up at all.

Finally gave up & bought BIG sticky traps. I caught the 2 (or maybe it was 3) offenders (now dead) & there is no more evidence of mice in the building. Same in our shop building. Bait chunks just disappeared (in portions). Sticky traps are immediate. I realize bait doesn't kill them on the spot, but I think I'm patient enough to know when it's time to give up.

When I was a kid in the FFA in the early-mid '60s, we sold "rat bait" that killed mice & rats. No doubt about it, it worked. I'm sure it was probably too potent for today's green society.

They work for me. Are you secureing them? If they are just tossed in a corner or along a wall loose, the mice will drag'em back to the nest for a future picnic -  I had dead mice all over the outside of sheds this fall. I know I had dead mice in the shed walls and such (smelled them a couple different times), but seen, I bet, over 100 dead ones outside, around the different builds I poision. I do believe it good to rotate the different types of poisions in the bait. I have never had good luck with D-Con type baits . . . . .

I do not have livestock anymore on this farm so seeds/feed is limited as to weed seeds and such out away from the buildings. It's easier for me to keep things cleaned up and the mice have to travel out away from the buildings to forage for food or eat what is supplied in the buildings. Keeping pet food sealed in containers helps also.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)