AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

my sister in law beats cancer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 11/19/2010 08:40 (#1443393)
Subject: my sister in law beats cancer

East central Iowa

Below is an email from her daughter this morning.  I've removed names to protect privacy.  However the message in the email remains and I am sharing it to give others some hope.

Shortly after walking into the appointment today, Dr. looked Mom hard and said, "This is your second life.  Do you know that?  You have been given a second life."

A bit uncertain, Mom replied, "Yes, that's what it feels like.  I feel so much better.  Better than before I got sick."

Dr.  stepped closer to her and said, "I really mean it. This is your second life.  What are you going to do with your second life?"

We had already been briefed by the physician's assistant who works with Dr..  She told us that the blood tests looked excellent and that the CT scan showed no increased lymph node size- in fact one node had decreased by a significant degree. She said there was no fluid in the lungs and that a spot of undetermined cause in her spinal cord remained unchanged- a good sign that whatever it is, it is stable and probably not a significant cause for concern.  She also said that because Mom's condition was so significantly improved, she now has a "clean slate" and would be a good candidate for treatment, should it ever be needed again.

Three times he described Mom's progress as a miracle.  He said that while MD Anderson was an excellent cancer hospital, such an incredible recovery could only be attributed to something more than medicine, "You must have had an army praying for you," he said, "and their prayers worked."

"I am amazed.  Just amazed by your progress." He said.  

Dr. continued "You were one very sick lady when I first saw you.  The drugs we gave you were so powerful that when they combined with your already compromised condition, you began to feel even worse.  But today, just seeing you, and seeing all these amazing, clear tests, it's certain that the drugs we gave you were the right ones. Your lymphoma is GONE.  I do not expect a recurrence of the lymphoma. 

"Do you realize that most people who walk into this hospital as sick as you were do not have this result?  Do you realize how miraculous this is?"  He asked.

It was such good news. It was hard to believe.  Since when do oncologists say things like 'miracle"' "amazing" and "the cancer is GONE."?

He then told Mom that she has had a true hero's journey that she faced not only cancer, but also the fears that lead some people to lose faith and give up fighting.  "There were days when fighting was not what you wanted to do.  But then you regained your faith. You fought the good fight and you have won.  Take heart that your hard, hard work has paid off.  Now, go home and live fully in this second life!!"

He told her to come back in four months for a follow up.  We all thanked him profusely.  

He hugged her, shook our hands and smiled broadly.  It was clear that this news had made his day as well as ours.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)