AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay curing, Universal vs Local truths. edit addition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/26/2010 10:44 (#1408454 - in reply to #1397065)
Subject: RE: Hay curing, Universal vs Local truths. edit addition

Little River, TX
Ricky,

Yes Dan Undersander puts out some really good information.

Just remember that we all have to make adjustments for our local soil, climate and management needs.

I found the graphs especially useful, though I had to enlarge the graphs, as well as print on graph paper. A little extrapolation and interpretation and Ta Da some really good information.

We have to remember WI has longer days, but less intense sunlight. This last summer their pan evaporation was in the 0.25" range while here we were curing hay with 0.40" pan evaporation. With that kind of drying conditions we can dry a 2 ton conditioned cutting down to 48% by sunset. With management. We can dry 1.5 ton not conditioned grass hay cutting down in the same amount of time.
You probably do not see the sea breeze front daily rains that can be expected down around your southern state border. I suspect Auburn is close to the northern edge of that phenomena.

Just like HERE night time baling is a management option that you probably do not see on a regular basis. Does your relative humidity drop below 50%, except for rare times? HERE the humidity will be below 50% close to our noon meal. (dinner time)

Take Care.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)