AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manure distribution in grazed, clipped and dragged new pasture (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/14/2010 09:10 (#1394501 - in reply to #1394371)
Subject: RE: This should be a good opportunity.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I am planning to pull some soil samples this morning for planning fertilizer/lime needs for next year. That is a good idea - to take some from the green spots and some between and compare.

These are more obvious than usual. If not manure/fertility what would cause these spots? pH? Soil samples should help tell? Grass leaves in these spots are broader and thicker than in between - the kind cattle love. My guess is nitrogen from manure/urine.

We did have a couple nights close to freezing, I think 31 is the official low so far, but not a real hard frost yet. That should be coming in the next week or so.

Accuweather shows no frost or precip for some time yet. just their usual chance of rain about 2 weeks out. Getting very dry on the surface here. Fortunately good subsoil moisture from earlier.

This pictured area will be my last grazing before putting hay out. Rotational grazing and dragging/clipping brought it along nicely this year. Again this area has been corn the past few years.

John, I am glad to hear you still have some green grazing out there too. Crazy weather year in much of SD. It was very dry west river last I saw it.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/14/2010 09:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)