AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inflation and the gold standard
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/11/2010 23:11 (#1355983 - in reply to #1355596)
Subject: RE: Inflation and the gold standard

Pittsburg, Kansas

I know nothing of the fund being promoted and should have stated that the relevant information was in the first half of the presentation with the promotion of the fund in the remainder. I believe it is Harvey Organ and his son that you are referring to and as I recall it was on his son's insisting that he went to see the bullion that they owned in an account in a bullion bank. Can't remember if it was an allocated or unallocated account.

The pertinent part of the presentation to me was the history showing that this is not the first time the US has ran into problems spending more than it has revenues and defaulting on its obligations. The question now is not IF we will default but HOW. The only politically acceptable way out is through devaluation/money printing. The spin Nixon used when the dollar was taken off the gold standard was that the American dollar was strong enough it did not need the gold standard.  In reality we defaulted on our debts to other nations through a devaluation (gold from $20 to $35) where they got paid with cheaper dollars instead of the gold. The result domestically was the inflation of the 70's followed by double digit interest (to kill the inflation and save the dollar from collapse) in the 80's.

John

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)