AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Salsa/Spaghetti Sauce
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

phranny
Posted 8/18/2010 19:46 (#1321342 - in reply to #1320830)
Subject: RE: Salsa/Spaghetti Sauce

MW ON
I have two salsa recipes, one that is my old one, and new one recommended to me by my sister.

Salsa
5 jalepeno peppers, chopped fine (opt) (put through food processor, you don't taste them, but it adds nice zip)
8 cup coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes (drain the juice, it only has to cook down longer with it in)
4 cups sweet peppers, more variety add color
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups cider vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced, or more
1 can tomato paste
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp ground coriander

Add everything in a heavy bottomed pot, except coriander. Bring to boil, decrease heat to med low. Simmer stirring often, about 1 hour.
To test for thickness, place 1 tbsp on plate, tilt till it flows slowly in one stream. Add coriander when desired thickness is achieved. Cook 5 minutes longer. Seal in hot jars. Makes 5-6 pints.

This is a new one for me to try:

Picante Salsa

4 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes, scalded, peeled, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper seeded and chopped
1 can tomato paste
3/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp coarse pickling salt
2 tsp paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to boil, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring constantly. boil gently for 1 hour, stirring occassionaly until thickened to desired consistency. Close to the end of cooking time, taste to see if you would like to add more jalepeno peppers. Add as many more as you like.
Fill hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 " of top. Place sterilzed metal lids on jar and screw metal bands on tightly. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Makes 5 pints.

The first recipe I have made for many years, but it is quite acidic with all the vinegar. The second one looks less, and it might suit my husbands digestive system a little better.

If the jalepenos are chopped to tiny bits, no one gets a big chunk in their mouth, and it's not hot at all. But then, I do like my food spicy....................................maybe leave them out entirely. :)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)