AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Senior Citizen, corn yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 8/13/2010 21:18 (#1314322 - in reply to #1314266)
Subject: Re: Senior Citizen, corn yields

The protocol of measurement standards & etc -strictly followed in the field as I understand-is to base their data as of the condition on August 1st, and to ASSUME ONLY NORMAL weather & growing conditions thereafter. The fellow I knew very well, who retired after 30 yrs with bottom to top experience (all over the world as well), indicated if there was any type of question, that question would be decided by an upper level person of considerable experience. The people with whom I have contact in USDA over the years appear to take this procedure (in all areas) very seriously--and their reaction if I were to suggest 'rounding off numbers (for example)" was a shocked expression pretty much of the same type as if you try to make a funny with an IRS agent.

Most were/are quiet & serious former farm boys. It is really an amazing process which has been refined over the years & almost unimaginable to me for them to come up with yields from samples in every crop reporting district across the USA...I don't think any other country can equal their accuracy, or even tries.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)